Having straight teeth is something that you want. The question is “what is better for me…crowns or braces”? To know which type of treatment is better for you, it is important to know what their advantages and disadvantages are before you decide.
Advantages of Dental Crowns or Veneers
- Good esthetics – Dental crowns or veneers are made of porcelain, a material that can mimic the color and the appearance of a real tooth.
- Fast Results – They can mask some minor imperfections of your smile in a matter of a couple of appointments.
- Removal of Tooth Structure – Each tooth that needs a crown or veneer has to be “prepared” or shaved down before they are cemented on your teeth.
- High Maintenance – Maintenance of crowns and veneers is even more important because any gum disease or cavity can create a lot of problems and oftentimes they will need to be replaced when these problems occur.
- Inability to correct bite problems - Crowns and veneers can only mask very minor problems. Crowns and veneers will not be able to solve problems like overbite, deep bite, underbite, narrow arches and/or crossbite.This can lead to future T.M.J problems as well to bite problems.
- Longevity – Usually crowns or veneers last 5-10 years, even with great home care. They may need to be replaced from time to time. Improper bite or grinding/clenching habits may cause cracks or chipping of the porcelain.
- With porcelain it is also more difficult to get the crown to fit exactly where the tooth meets the gum. This then means that your dentist will require greater skill in order to fit them and that they may be more likely to be less than perfect in appearance and function. This may lead to gingivitis.
- Comprehensive Care – Orthodontic treatment is a comprehensive treatment that addresses all the issues so that you will have straight and properly functioning teeth at the end of treatment.
- Longevity – Braces are temporarily glued onto your teeth, leaving your teeth are just the way they were before orthodontic treatment at the end. Your very own natural teeth can last forever if they are well taken care of. No need to worry about replacement of restorations.
- You have options! – There are many different types of braces that you can choose to cater your lifestyle. There are traditional metal (with or without colors) and clear braces as well as clear aligner systems (such as Invisalign). Also, lingual braces (braces that are mounted on the back of your teeth so they are truly invisible) are ideal for those adult patients who highly value esthetics.
When considering what approach is the best for you, it is important to know the advantages and disadvantages of the options that you have. It is also important to have the long term health and stability of your teeth in mind. Dental crowns and veneers are a good option for those that have very minor problems or have problems that cannot be resolved with orthodontic treatment, such as chipped or discolored teeth. However, when the problems are more than just mild rotations or spaces, comprehensive orthodontic treatment is the more appropriate option.
Dr.george bardawil -ORTHODONTIST www.drgeorgebardawil.com, email@example.com, Invisalign premier provider, speciality clinics center, st maamari,12th floor hamra,beirut lebanon Hamra clinic 961-1-747644 Fanar clinic 961-1-873718 mobile 961-3-542724